Sunday, August 28, 2011

Why?

Why do we need a Planetarium in Southwest Missouri?
Our mission statement makes this very clear, although I will endeavour to make it a little plainer in some key areas.

First is Entertainment: A Planetarium will be a first class entertainment destination. Something very new, immersive and totally different than any other facility in the area, and for most visitors a unique experience they will want to visit each time they visit Branson. One thing we know about young people today, is that if something is not entertaining they just will not get it. The productions they will be able to view, and the temporary, ever-changing science exhibits they will be able to interact with, will give them something to enjoy, and want to experience again and again. Each visit will have new, different exhibits and productions. I think this is an easy way to teach and learn.

Second-Educate: I have now idea how it was done but when I was in high school I learned music, both instrumental and voice. Played team ball sports, and track. We had an excellent shop department, as well as Home Ec., there was also 4-H and technical schools offered. Drivers Ed. etc. etc. I say this only in the opinion that to much money is being wasted in today's schools. I had exposure to a wide range of activities, more so I venture to guess than can be acquired today. Also I believe that children need to be exposed to a wide range of human endeavour to be able to find out what their particular passion is for. When the child figures out where their interests lie, they will be able to discover what they need to accomplish to make it happen. If we try to turn out cookie cutter children no one is happy with the result. Teachers teach best when they have motivated students, and the teacher has a passion for the particular subjects needed to fulfill a students needs.

Third-Inspire: This is where it all comes together. If you take a student who has been exposed to a wide variety of influences and they find one entertaining enough that they want to find out more, inspiration takes hold and keeps them motivated. I have been inspired by lots of things in my life, with astronomy being one. I have waited all my life to find out more about the wonders of the universe. I believe we can inspire children in this region to be more interested in what they think are the "hard" subjects by making them entertaining. STEM, science, technology, engineering, and math are subjects that the United States is falling far behind in the numbers that will be needed for the future of our country's well being. These are the subjects that are used to explore, build, and find out the answer to the big question of  WHY.

Keep Looking Up
Larry Tate

No comments:

Post a Comment